1. Jaffar S, Leach A, Greenwood AM, et.al. Changes in the pattern of infant and childhood mortality in
upper river division. The Gambia, from 1989 to 1993. Trop Med Int Health 1997;2:28-37
2. Menge I, Esamai F, van Reken D, Anabwani G. Paediatric morbidity and mortality at the Eldoret
District Hospital, Kenya. East Afr Med J 1995; 73:165-9
3. Conway SP, Phillips RR, Panday S. Admission to hospital with gastroenteritis. Arch Dis Child
4. Glass RI, Lew JF, Gangarosa RE, LeBaron CW, Ho MS. Estimates of morbidity and mortality rates for
diarrhoeal diseases in American children. J Pediatr 1991;118:S27-33
5. Cicirello HG, Glass RI. Current concepts of the epidemiology of diarrheal diseases. Semin Pediatr
Infect Dis. 1994;5:163-167. [Context Link]
6. Lee WS, Lee SP, Boey CCM. Admission to hospital with gastroenteritis in Malaysia. Singapore
Paediatr J 1997;39(4): 185-190
7. Iyngkaran N, Abidin Z, Lam SK, Puthucheary SD. Acute gastroenteritis in Malaysian children:
aetiological and therapeutic considerations. Med J Malaysia 1980;34:403-8
8. Lee WS, Lee SP, Boey CCM. Pre-admission management of acute gastroenteritis in children : too
much or too little. Med J Malaysia 1999;54(1):22-25
9. WS Lee, TL Ooi. Deaths following acute diarrhoeal diseases among hospitalised infants in Kuala
Lumpur. Med J Malaysia 1999; 54(3): 303-9
10. Lee WS, Boey CCM. Chronic diarrhoea in infants and young children: causes, clinical features and
outcome. J Paediatr Child Hlth 1999;35:260-3
11. Pratt EL. Development of parenteral fluid therapy. J Pediatr. 1984;104:581-584.
12. Powers GF. A comprehensive plan of treatment for the so-called intestinal intoxication of children. Am
J Dis Child. 1926;32:232-257.
13. Darrow DC, Pratt EL, Flett J Jr, et al. Disturbances of water and electrolytes in infantile diarrhea.
14. Hirschhorn NJ. The treatment of acute diarrhea in children: an historical and physiological
perspective. Am J Clin Nutr. 1980;33:637-663.
15. Hirschhorn NJ, Kinzie JL, Sachar DB, et al. Decrease in net stool output in cholera during intestinal
perfusion with glucose-containing solutions. N Engl J Med. 1968;279:176-181.
16. Pierce NF, Sack RB, Mitra RC, et al. Replacement of water and electrolyte losses in cholera by an oral
glucose-electrolyte solution. Ann Intern Med. 1969;70:1173-1181.
17. Santosham M, Daum RS, Dillman L, et al. Oral rehydration therapy of infantile diarrhea: a controlled
study of well-nourished children hospitalized in the United States and Panama. N Engl J Med.
18. Tamer AM, Friedman LB, Maxwell SR, Cynamon HA, Perez HN, Cleveland WW. Oral rehydration of
infants in a large urban US medical center. J Pediatr. 1985;107:14-19.
19. Listernick R, Zieserl E, Davis AT. Outpatient oral rehydration in the United States. Am J Dis Child.
20. Vesikari T, Isolauri E, Baer M. A comparative trial of rapid oral and intravenous rehydration in acute
diarrhoea. Acta Paediatr Scand. 1987;76:300-305.
21. MacKenzie A, Barnes G. Randomized controlled trial comparing oral and intravenous rehydration
therapy in children with diarrhoea. Br Med J. 1991;303:393-396.
22. Snyder J. The continuing evolution of oral therapy for diarrhea. Semin Pediatr Infect Dis. 1994;5:231-
23. Snyder JD. Use and misuse of oral therapy for diarrhea: comparison of US practices with American
Academy of Pediatrics' recommendations. Pediatrics. 1991;87:28-33.
24. Carpenter CC, Greenough WB, Pierce NF. Oral rehydration therapy: the role of polymeric substrates.
N Engl J Med. 1988;319:1346-1348.
25. Gore SM, Fontaine O, Pierce NF. Impact of rice based oral rehydration solution of stool output and
duration of diarrhoea: meta-analysis of 13 clinical trials. Br Med J. 1992;304:287-291.
26. Santosham M, Fayad I, Hashem M, et al. A comparison of rice-based oral rehydration solution and
"early feeding" for the treatment of acute diarrhea in infants. J Pediatr. 1990;116:868-875.
27. Fayad IM, Hashem M, Duggan C, Refat M, Bakir M, Fontaine O. Comparative efficacy of rice-based
and glucose-based oral rehydration salts plus early reintroduction of food. Lancet. 1993;342:772-775.
28. Margolis PA, Litteer T. Effects of unrestricted diet on mild infantile diarrhea: a practice-based study.
Am J Dis Child. 1990;144:162-164.
29. Gazala E, Weitzman S, Weitzman Z, et al. Early versus late refeeding in acute infantile diarrhea. Isr J
Med Sci. 1988;24:175-179.
30. Brown KH, Perez F, Gastanaduy AS. Clinical trial of modified whole milk, lactose-hydrolyzed whole
milk, or cereal-milk mixtures for the dietary management of acute childhood diarrhea. J Pediatr
Gastroenterol Nutr. 1991;12:340-350.
31. Alarcon P, Montoya R, Perez F, Dongo JW, Peerson JM, Brown KH. Clinical trial of home available,
mixed diets versus a lactose-free, soy-protein formula for the dietary management of acute childhood
diarrhea. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1991;12:224-232.
32. Brown KH, Gastanaduy AS, Saaverdra JM, et al. Effect of continued oral feeding on clinical and
nutritional outcomes of acute diarrhea in children. J Pediatr. 1988;112:191-200.
33. Motala C, Hill ID. Effect of loperamide on stool output and duration of acute infectious diarrhea. J
34. World Health Organization. The Rational Use of Drugs in the Management of Acute Diarrhoea in
Children. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1990.
35. Bhutta TI, Tahir KI. Loperamide poisoning in children. Lancet. 1990;335:363.
36. Chow CB, Li SH, Leung NK. Loperamide associated necrotizing enterocolitis. Acta Pediatr Scand.
37. Minton NA, Smith PGD. Loperamide toxicity in a child after a single dose. Br Med J. 1987;294:1383.
38. Herranz J, Luzuriaga C, Sarralle R, Florez J. Neurological symptoms precipitated by loperamide.
Anales Espanoles Pediatr. 1980;13:1117-1120.
39. Schwartz RH, Rodriguez WJ. Toxic delirium possibly caused by loperamide. J Pediatr. 1991;118:656-
40. Ginsberg CM. Lomotil (diphenoxylate and atropine) intoxication. Am J Dis Child. 1973;125:241-242.
41. Rumack BH, Temple AP. Lomotil poisoning. Pediatrics. 1974;53:495-500.
42. Curtis JAQ, Goel KM. Lomotil poisoning in children. Arch Dis Child. 1979;54:222-225.
43. Bala K, Khandpur S, Gujral V. Evaluation of efficacy and safety of lomotil in acute diarrheas in
children. Indian Pediatr. 1979;16:903-907.
44. Saavedra JM, Harris GD, Li S, Finberg L. Capillary refilling (skin turgor) in the assessment of
dehydration. Am J Dis Child. 1991;145:296-298.
45. Readings on Diarrhoea. World Health Organization, Geneva, 1992
46. Grant RL, Gilder TV, Steiner TS et. al. Practice guidelines for the management of infectious diarrhoea.
Clin Infect Dis 2001;32:333-51
47. Lee WS, Puthucheary SD, Boey CCM. Non-typhoid
48. Practice parameter: the management of acute gastroenteritis in young children. Pediatrics